Re: Ethernet with no IP address

You should be able to do that with ebtables, though it might have some limitations.

- Allan

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:45:46 +0300, Eric Barnes <eric@barnestormertechnologies.com> wrote:

Greetings and Salutations;

Is it possible to access an Ethernet port in Debian WITHOUT it being configured?

I would like a device that has two ports with no IPs and acts as a SWITCH, but with logic to examine and act on packets as they come through.

From the research I've done, this is not possible without developing custom device driver and/or possibly changing part of kernel.

Just looking for some confirmation either way from people that know.  :-)

Thanks,

Eric