From: Julien Vehent [mailto:julien@linuxwall.info]
Sent: dimanche 14 mars 2010 15:04
To: green
Cc: debian-firewall List
Subject: Re: tcng

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:13:37 -0600, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I recently discovered tcng; it seems like a great tool.
>
> But: since I have started working with traffic shaping, I have found
> almost no
> current documentation or tools.
> - All the HOWTOs are old (though still useful).
> - The LARTC.org index page does not seem to have been touched since
2005.
> - The LARTC mailing list went down in 2005 and is still down.
> - The latest upstream changelog for tcng is 2004.
> - The tcng sourceforge page hasn't been touched since 2004.
>
> Am I looking at all the wrong places?  Where is the activity?
>
> And: is tcng obsolete?  Should I continue learning how to use it?
>
> Thanks.

Hi, I went through the exact same question a few times ago when I started
studying the TC implementation.  All the material is old but, the thing is,
it didn't exactly move for years since the algorithms are satisfying enough
for most needs.

LARTC is a good source, but I like this one too
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/

After, the sources codes of the kernel (net/sched) are the best
information sources, with the manpages of iproute2
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/iproute2

Now, tcng... I don't know what to say, I never personnally used it,
neither got the need for it. I suppose not a lot of people use it.
If you have implementation questions, the best place is the netdev mailing
list.

Good luck,
Julien