Re: Web Admin smoothwall style

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:52:47AM +0800, Bob wrote:
> Adam McGreggor wrote:
> >On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 07:13:12PM +0800, Bob wrote:
> >The New Kid on the Block, seems to be Ebox (http://ebox-platform.com/):
> >It seems to be quite nice, imo, although let-down on its MTA side for
> >not using Exim.
> >
> >Possibly worth having a look at.
>
> Well worth it, it looks great.   Although as with all these things it's
> trying to do too much, I'd never run samba on a firewall, it looks like
> you can disable stuff.

Yeap, things can be disabled/not run on it.

> There are no official Debian packages, even in
> Sid, and I think their packages are for sarge and Ubuntu Hardy.
>
> http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/ebox.htm
> http://ebox-platform.com/debian/stable/

I'd imagine it might not be too difficult to package-up the sources, or,
erm, if you've got a spare machine, to see if the ubuntu packages will
Just Work (i've not tried ubuntu packages on debian, it has to be
said); possibly worth checking the Ubuntu Dependencies against
(http://packages.ubuntu.com) your Debian install?

(or, erm, try the ubuntu release)

> I wonder if this might make in into lenny?

No idea. Pass.

> Do you know if anyone's working on it?

I've seen things in progress on ebox, the project's trac
(http://trac.ebox-platform.com) seems to be active, too.

I've neglected ubuntu-server for a while, but am fairly sure there was
something there, from one of the devs.