Re: NAT problems

On Thursday 13 September 2007 05:13, Carlos Pasqualini wrote:
> El jue, 13-09-2007 a las 10:27 +0200, Pascal Hambourg escribió:
> > Carlos Pasqualini a écrit :
> >
> > This one has nf_conntrack/nf_nat enabled anyway.
> > Again, please describe precisely what is going wrong.
>
> the point is just that i don't know what it's going on... so i'm looking
> for changes that could be the source of the problem.
>
> when i start to implement a linux box as router, i test it with a script
> that do not filter anything, it just make masquerade. after all works
> well i restart the script but filtering everythng and say "this packet >
> accpet"
>
> the early script (the really unsecure one) give me failures in the
> network, the script it's so simple:
>
> iptables -F for every table / chain...
> iptables -P ACCEPT for everything
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
>
> $IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXT -j MASQUERADE
>
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
> iptables -N permitido
> iptables -A permitido -p tcp --syn -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A permitido -p tcp -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j
> ACCEPT
> iptables -A permitido -p tcp -j DROP
> # external tcp open ports
> for i in `cat /etc/firewall/conf/ext_tcp_open_ports`; do
>         echo -n "iptables -A INPUT --protocol tcp -i $EXT --dport $i -j
> permitido"
>         iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW --protocol tcp -i $EXT
> --dport $i -j permitido && echo "         done!"
> done
> (same for input tcp/udp ext/int ports)
> #squid routing:
>  iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING  -d ! 192.168.20.0/24 --protocol tcp -i
> $INT --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 3128
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>

> as you can see, it's a very stupid script that it can't fail!!!
> (it can be a security risk, it's ulgy.. but no problem about nat !)
>

> now i'm making tests at home with this box, the same script, but only
> one change:
>
> the external device it's a dhcp client on eth0, not a pppoe ppp0 and you
> know what?? IT WORKS!
>
> so, it's nothing about the iptables script ¿WTF?... it's another thing
> that i can't find...
>
> when i use ppp0 as internet connection, i run the script
> from /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/firewall.sh for example. so it executes whenever
> the ppp device it's going up, and whe have internet access.
>
> the failure was that some websites didn't work, no MSN messenger (WTF?)
> and other things like that... some things works, others don't... in a
> way that i can't find any logic about it. that's why i'm asking for
> documentation and not describing the entire situation.
>
> the point that iptables don't change anything between the old and new
> frameworks, tells me a lot. it tells me that i'm doing another even more
> stupid error !! ;)
>
> again
> [...]
When you say some websites work and others don't.  Do you possibly mean the
websites on your system or web sites on the internet?
Do you have NAT addresses listed on the router that are specifically for your
system?  example 10.10.10.1 is your main box 10.10.10.2 is a box in the next
room 10.10.10.3 is a server in your office  and the address of your router
box that feeds all of these is ###.###.###.### ( your real network IP
address)
You probably know more about this than I do but this looks a lot like a
problem that I ran into when connecting my Adtran hardware router/firewall to
my system. I had to completely reset all of my network addresses & connection
names for my small business network when I implemented NAT addressing
internally but wanted to leave my wife's XP box alone with its DHCP
connection.
--
John W. Foster