Re: Linux and Inter-vlan Routing

Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
>> On Aug 07, tomfi illuminated :
>
>> I think in Cisco Vlan 1 is treated special ....
>> just try lab:
>> make 802.1q trunk between switches
>> make this trunk native vlan other then vlan 1.
>> turn on PVST
>> look on untagged frames and you will see that Vlan 1 is somehow special ;)
>>
>> And yes ... there is another speciality... You cannot remove this vlan ;)
>>
>> And .... just kidding ... there are some others specialties ... but i
>> dont want to write all here ;)
>>
> for /most/ practical purposes, it's just another VLAN.  In all the
> workplaces I've been to, that is how it has been used.  Thinking about
> it, yes, it is kind of special in it's non-removable state.
Yes at this point you must "only" strongly remember that it is
default/native vlan so not so secure (people are not error prune :) )
I think one of good practices is to use this vlan as "guest vlan".

> I've also not had direct experience configuring trunking, apart from the
> CCNA's requirements.  Using yes, not configuring, so haven't discovered
> the little quirks like you have mentioned here.
Yes it is not part of CCNA, and I must appreciate to see somebody knows
his knowledge (mean as praise).

Tomfi