weird: nslookup can't resolve hostnames

Hi everyone,

Mi problem with 'nslookup' is kind of strange, the story is:

I've installed a Debian Sarge 3.1r2 as a gateway which is running Squid and
Dansguardian for proxy and web content filtering. My internet conection is
a ADSL (ppp0) link.

The communication trace follows like this:

To get to a web page, Web clients (i.e: 192.168.1.3) connect to
Dansguardian (in 192.168.1.1:8080) which at the same time connects to Squid
(127.0.0.1:3128).

This setting had been worked fine for two or three weeks till yesterday.
Web clients couldn't access to web pages, because web content requested
never came back. I changed http proxy setting in web clients from
192.168.1.1:8080 (dansguardian) to 192.168.1.1:3128 (squid) wich didn't
work. So I changed again http proxy setting in web clients from
192.168.1.1:3128 to 'Direct connection'. This time web clients could access
to web sites.

Searching in my Debian firewall I tried to find something that could block
access to/from any port. Searching any update for Squid and Dansguardian
with apt-get, I found ftp.debian.org couldn't be reached when one minute
before I updated my Debian desktop (192.168.1.3).

In my linux desktop I can do 'nslookup' but not in my gateway box:

# nslookup ftp.debian.org

I stopped iptables in gateway box to see if there was something wrong with
rules, but is still the same problem.

# nslookup ftp.debian.org

dbfw:~# nslookup
> server
Default server: 200.33.146.249
Address: 200.33.146.249#53
Default server: 200.33.146.241
Address: 200.33.146.241#53
> server cancun.net
nslookup: Couldn't find server 'cancun.net': Temporary failure in name
resolution
dbfw:~#

I'm not a linux expert, but I can say there's nothing to block DNS queries.
'nslookup' doesn't seem corrupted.

Any idea?, Any tip?

Thanx in advance.

Marinho.-