Re: Change MTU for forwarded packets

Hello guys,

I have a VPN, ip-ip, encrypted, made with vtun
(http://vtun.sourceforge.net) thru which I connect 2 offices thru a
metropolitan network. Place 2 is getting out on the internet thru
place 1...

The people from place 2 were happy with their internet, but they could
not see http of microsoft.com, opera.com, sourceforge… And the problem
was the MTU.

So then I searched google and applied this rule to my VPN interface:

iptables -I FORWARD -o $VPN_INTERFACE -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN
-j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

$VPN_INTERFACE in your case would be "ipsec" I think…

I applied it on both sides of the VPN.

So... your using PMTU when SYN are sent... the MTU problem should not
appear... Thought I may be wrong… Most of the times I am :-)

On 8/18/06, George Borisov <george@dxsolutions.co.uk> wrote:
Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Probably because the LAN hosts won't send packets bigger than their MTU.
> Besides, they will use that local MTU to compute the MSS they send to
> the other hosts when establishing a TCP connection, so the other hosts
> won't send packets bigger than the transmitted MSS + TCP header size.
>
> When you reduce the firewall's external interface MTU, packets forwarded
> from a LAN host to the outside bigger than the MTU (plus IPSec the
> encapsulation) will be fragmented if they have the DF (Don't Fragment)
> flag cleared, or discarded with an ICMP fragmentation-needed error
> message otherwise. However it won't change the TCP MSS transmitted by
> LAN hosts unless they use Path MTU Discovery (PMTU).

So what you are saying is that is does not matter what the MTU on
the LAN hosts' packets is because they will be wrapped in the
IPSec encapsulation anyway? I could set a lower MTU on the
external interfaces of the two IPSec firewalls and then it should
all work?

> If you mean the firewall's internal interface, I'm afraid this would be
> ineffective, because it won't force the LAN hosts to send smaller
> packets : the T in MTU stands for "Transmit", which applies to packets
> transmitted (either locally generated or forwarded) by the local host on
> this interface.

I think I am beginning to understand this better. You see, I
originally thought the LAN hosts and the internal interface of
the firewall used the lowest one between the two. :-/

--
George Borisov

DXSolutions Ltd