Re: weird: nslookup can't resolve hostnames

mario@cancun.net wrote:
Hi everyone,

Mi problem with 'nslookup' is kind of strange, the story is:

I've installed a Debian Sarge 3.1r2 as a gateway which is running Squid and
Dansguardian for proxy and web content filtering. My internet conection is
a ADSL (ppp0) link.
[snip]

still the same problem.

# nslookup ftp.debian.org

dbfw:~# nslookup
server
Default server: 200.33.146.249
Address: 200.33.146.249#53
Default server: 200.33.146.241
Address: 200.33.146.241#53
server cancun.net
nslookup: Couldn't find server 'cancun.net': Temporary failure in name
resolution
dbfw:~#

Put your firewall settings back to what it was when the whole setup worked.
Do you have Dynamic IP or static IP for your ADSL connection ? And how is your name server address obtained ? via DHCP or static name server ?

Most likely the problem is that the name server used in Squid and/or dansguardian is no longer accessible. Check the nameserver settings.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.