From: Mihira Fernando mihiratheace@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:13:29 +0700
To: debian-firewall@lists.debian.org, debian-firewall@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: weird: nslookup can't resolve hostnames

mario@cancun.net wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Mi problem with 'nslookup' is kind of strange, the story is:
>
> I've installed a Debian Sarge 3.1r2 as a gateway which is running Squid
and
> Dansguardian for proxy and web content filtering. My internet conection is
> a ADSL (ppp0) link.
[snip]

still the same problem.

> # nslookup ftp.debian.org
>
> dbfw:~# nslookup
>> server
> Default server: 200.33.146.249
> Address: 200.33.146.249#53
> Default server: 200.33.146.241
> Address: 200.33.146.241#53
>> server cancun.net
> nslookup: Couldn't find server 'cancun.net': Temporary failure in name
> resolution
> dbfw:~#

Put your firewall settings back to what it was when the whole setup worked.
Do you have Dynamic IP or static IP for your ADSL connection ? And how
is your name server address obtained ? via DHCP or static name server ?

Most likely the problem is that the name server used in Squid and/or
dansguardian is no longer accessible. Check the nameserver settings.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break