Re: Voice Server comunication

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 00:47, André wrote:
> Hello using servers like a teamspeak server can carry lot of udp traffic
> in a case where I would have a policy rule (INPUT) to drop all incoming
> traffic and in the INPUT Policy only allowing with certain rules some
> udp ports related to the server like 25008 could a pentium celereon ...
>
> Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
>
> Handle all traffic for like 10 servers maybe 10 clients per server,
> maybe less without packet loss or problems affecting the service ?

Depends on the packet rate and data rates. As a reference point, a 486DX2-66
was able to handle saturation traffic in both directions using two NE2000 ISA
cards on 512KBit/s down, 256KBit/s up ADSL, at just over 10,000 packets per
second, without struggling. These things don't scale linearly, but unless
your network connection is much faster, the CPU's unlikely to be a
bottleneck.
--
Simon Farnsworth