shaping a little (only some files)

I have a server, it is connected via a 100 mb NIC to a router that in turn
is connected, together with other servers and ws to internet.
I have observed that if no one is using the net (for example at 0600 on
sunday) people can download from apache up to a rate that is limited
just by the ide interface.
Of course if this occour when many (about 600) people are connected
using up to 60 Mb of bandwidth is not acceptable.
I wish then set three timeslot: one weekdays 8 to 19 , one 19 to 24 and
7 to 8 and the third 24 to 7.
also the directories would be divided in three groups: Istitutional pages,
Documentation (reports), Documentation (full documents).
First group would be allowed maximun speed at any time, the second
wpuld be allowed maximun speed at peak time only for certain subnets,
while the third group at peak time and intermediate time should be
throttled to a maximum of 2 mb/S.
How to do ? i thought to set the three group of pages on different
servers and throttle each one via cron, but this would require to have a
separate one.
Can i do wuth just one server, possibly by redirectioning the two
"heavy" dir4ectories to a diferent virtual address used by the redirector
an throttled at time ?
--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile