Kernel Question

Hi all!,

Debian is great!!!! I run the woody version , kernel 2.4.18 My problem is,
that when I try to configure with make xconfig and make menuconfig, amy
options are missing! Ex. There is no option for IP:Firewalling. If the
configuration of this kernel is different from the others, I would be
gratefull if any would send me a tutorial for a simple firewall, or something
else. And, could I create a proxy server on my linux box and connect through
it from the same computer (from my linux box)? Thank you!