Re: drop policy- udp ports open?

--- Buchinger <robert_buchinger@gmx.ch> wrote:

> hello!
>
> when i enter iptables -P INPUT DROP normally all ports should be closed.
> but a portscan from http://www.sns.co.at/german/tools.htm tells me that
> all tcp ports are stealth, icmp is closed and all scanned upd ports are
> open.
> so what can i do to close these open ports?

Thats correct, try these rule instead.
iptables -P INPUT DROP
# The default reject(icmp-port-unreachable) will have scanners report the
port as filtered, this will make it look closed.
iptables -p TCP -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
iptables -p UDP -j REJECT
# I don't know the rules for ICMP, my guess would be that each type of
ICMP would have a diffrent responce.  Maby just droping all ICMP would be
best.

I make no clams to these rules thay may or may not cause harm and or your
hardrive to melt.