Re: no ipchains with 2.2/no network with 2.4

On 2005-01-06 Pierre A. Damas wrote:
> On 2004-01-05 Martin Bock <ixel@gmx.de> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:58:31AM +0100, Pierre A. Damas wrote:
>>> a) where is ipchains.o for the kernel 2.2 ?
>>
>> usually in /lib/modules/2.2.yourkernelversion
>
> Yes, of course, except that they are not there, hence my question "In
> which package would it be ?" to apt-get it.

If the module is nowhere in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/* it's either
compiled into the kernel or not compiled at all.

>>> b) what component, installed by default in the kernel-image-
>>> 2.4.16-586, could be the cause of my network blockage ?
>>
>> I would guess it is this ancient ne card you seem to be using. BTW
>> let me recommand you to update your system to the current, 4th
>> release of Woody. There have been *lots* of security fixes, in
>> particular the kernel 2.4.16 is outdated, you should use 2.4.18
>
> I wanted to follow the rules, and if 2.2.20 is considered as being the
> kernel for the stable distribution, I should be able to set-up a
> "stable" firewall, with security updates.

2.4 is stable as well, see bf24 install option someone else mentioned.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."