Re: no ipchains with 2.2/no network with 2.4

Thanks Rem for your answer, but as you can expect, it doesn't help ;-)

> Prerequisite: I don't want to compile my kernel myself (insmod
> should be sufficient), certainly not on that machine (which is my
> only linux).

I have of course nothing that would me make think that I am more
able to rebuild a kernel than the debian person who created the kernel-image, and if I can reach his level (after reading a lot of documentation and trying a lot),
nothing makes me believe that exactly the same problem would not occur...

Of course, I may have only a "weak" security (and once I have a better config, I'll ask you to run your thing to check it), but it is why I rely on knowledgable people
building the kernels and modules for me and giving me good advice.

But for each domain I touch in my computer life, there is always a balance between the
benefit I expect from it, and the time and effort I can invest.

If I need a database, I would use a distribution, although some advised postgres guru could say me that I should really take the sources and recompile it, to be more performant
or more secure, or more ...

I think (I hope) I have a good 2.4 kernel, and with everything open in iptables (I want first to be sure that it works), I cannot connect to any network.

In fact, I think I have a very secure config ;-)

Thanks anyway for the time you took answering me...

Pierre A.