Re: iptables problem getting url's hosted inside

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:00:15AM -0500, hanasaki wrote:
>external internet - firewall - internal web server
>
>internet traffic on port 80 is passed to the internal web server
>external internet based browsers can hit the server
>inernal based browsers cannot
>
>What iptables runs are needed to let the internal browsers hit the
>internal server with the external IP
>
>now external users can hit the server with www.domain.com
>internal users get connection refused
>
>internal and external users get the same IP from "host www.domain.com"

forget it. even if you get the fw to properly route LAN clients to
LAN hosts, the host will reply via the LAN switch directly to the
client, which will not accept it because it's waiting for a response
from the internet IP.

And, doing a LAN to LAN masq is much more difficult that it appears.

You need dns for the LAN which maps to the LAN server IP, not the
internet IP. I've spent a lot of time figuring out how not to have
"conditional locational" dns, it was wasted. Just focus on having
two sets of dns records. :)

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george@galis.org