RE: Firewall Debian vs SUSE

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Steven Jones wrote:

I use the same iptables firewall script on rh9, rhas3, Debian intel and Debian Alpha.

I suppose it comes down to how or if you want commercial support.

Novell support Suse and they have a world wide network so should have a presence in each country.

If you want zero $ cost support and are happy with mail groups, irc and google searches then Debian would be my choice.

Commercial support is available for all Linux distros of course. One of the points I always stress with people who are not familiar with FOSS is that it is a myth that Linux and FOSS are not supported. We should be careful not to accidentaly give this impression.

I have used Debian firewalls for 5 years and never had a significant issue.

We also use Debian for many of our firewalls.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.