Re: Firewall Debian vs SUSE

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Alfonso Mora wrote:

Any suggestions to help defending Debian solution?

I will not comment about suse, which I do not know well enough. The one exception on this being that, after using the rpm package management a while ago with RH, I never want to go anywhere near it again.

About debian, now. It is very easy to install a stripped down server with debian. You have an exceedingly finely grained control over what to install and what not, with clearly spelld out dependencies. Moreover, it is simply beutiful to maintain such a stripped down Debian server. You can apply security upgrades, when you need to, in a breeze. A Debian-based firewall I maintain stays on for months at a time, essentially only being rebooted when I want to upgrade the kernel. It is very easy to roll your custom-configured kernels as debian packages, to make things even easier to maintain. Once you learn a tiny bit about building debian packages from source you will be able to roll out your custom versions of kernel+netfilter utilities with the same set of patch-o-matic extensions on both, as packages. This will enable you to quickly deploy and test any upgrades and, if necessary, go back easily and cleanly.

To sum it up, people used to say that Debian is a bitch to install and a dream to maintain. The "dream" part is still true, the first one is absolutely false nowadays with the debian installer. Installing debian is now more or less as easy as any other major distribution. And support via mailing lists, bug reporting system etc. is simply outstanding. Important bugs get fixed astoundingly quickly. I think this happens mostly because all Debian developers "eat their own food".

Try it, it might take a little more work at the beginning but you will not regret it.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)