iptables-save/restore with dynamic IP

Alohá!

Trying to insert a 1.4MB blacklist as quickly as possible it was pointed out to me to use the iptables-save command which outputs whole tables in one go and can naturally be piped into a file ('cat <file> iptables-restore' will restore that table accordingly) rather than running a huge shellscript that makes iptables retrieve the whole ruleset from kernelspace, update it and reinsert it (takes around 30 min for this list).

Unfortunately I am working with a dynamically assigned IP that is passed to the iptables script called in /etc/ppp/ip-up by pppd.

Now, the best tutorial ever <tm> http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net states that there are a few more or less clumsy workarounds by sed-ing the iptables-save file for the ips and replacing them with the valid values for each connection cycle (every 24h), saving to a tmp-file and then iptables-restoring that table. While I can see that it is possible that way I still was wondering whether there is a more elegant solution to this...

Thank You all for Your donation of brainpower!

Martin