Re: Automatic ISP failover if connection fails

--- Albert Ulmer <jayaeu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:39:21 +0200 (CEST), Peter Funk <pf@artcom-gmbh.de>
> wrote:
> > > So, I'd really be interested in hearing if there is a good solution.
> > > I'm convinced that it can be done!
> >
> > The trick is to have two routes with different Metric.  If for example
> > ippp0 is your ISDN-device and ppp0 is your DSL connection, you could
> > have two default routes: one with metric == 0 on ppp0 and another one
> > with metric == 1 on ippp0.  If both pppd-Demons are configured to
> > "dial" on demand, the ISDN connection will be established
> automatically,
> > if the pppoed dies for some reason.
>
> OK, sounds reasonable. Can this scheme be adapted to a scenario where
> 1 NIC (no pppd) and 1 ISDN-card are involved? Putting
> up-/down-statements into the NIC-setup won't do much good, as the
> NIC-link doesn't go down, even when the connection on the WAN-side is
> lost.

What happens is the routing code detects that the metric 0 path isn't
working and it starts using the metric 1 part.  The thing that may be
tricky for you, I don't know ISDN only NICs, is that you must keep the
interface bound to an IP and have routes(that have a higher metric)
attched to it.  This means that the interface has to be "ifconfig xxxy
up", but maby not dialed and working.

> > Since my setup is little bit different (ISDN goes directly to a
> computer
> > in our company network and is a fallback for the VPN) I can't provide
> > a working configuration file.
> > Just a guess: you have to insert or modify some 'up' and 'down'
> commands
> > in your /etc/network/interfaces file.  Like so
> > iface ppp0 inet ... # DSL (pppoed)
> >        up route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX metric 0
> >        down route del default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> > iface ippp0 inet ... # ISDN
> >        up route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX metric 1
> >        down route del default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> >
> > Read /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz
> > for more information.
>
> Is there a way to alter the metric of an interface based on RTT of the
> ISP-router on the other side of the link? I guess this would solve
> part of the problem....

That's what metric is, it's the admins perseption of what routes are
better then others.  You could base this only on RTT, but that may be
narrow minded.