Re: Fw: bridging firewall

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 12:21:45AM +0100, Steve EDWARDS wrote:

> [...]

Actually 'classical' bridging is done on data link layer and as such
requires the same protocol on both sides. That said... Linux bridge
code is more liberal and allows to bridge different protocols - as
long as they are 'Ethernet like'. But I'm not sure how well it's working
with PPP, which is probably used on top of your adsl link.
(On http://bridge.sourceforge.net/faq.html is written that if additional
requirements are met, it theoretically should.)

Now, for configuration of your modem, take a look at:

http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/SpeedTouch/about/index.html

There is step by step instruction for Debian Sarge and SpeedTouch modems.

And somewhere there is hidden, that when you configure your modem for
Ethernet over ATM, then it's interface should be named nas0...

Finally, if you could write why you need bridging with adsl and what protocol
is used by adsl link (Ethernet over ATM, PPPoE, PPPoA)? I guess that you
probably need bridging for your local nics only and NAT them on adsl link.
If you need bridging at all... But maybe I'm wrong ;).

Robert