Fw: bridging firewall

----- Original Message ----- From: "elijah wright" <elw@stderr.org>
To: "Steve EDWARDS" <steve@edwards23464.fsworld.co.uk>
Cc: <debian-firewall@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 10:38 PM
Subject: Re: bridging firewall

I'm trying to work out how to build a bridging firewall using a Dell 833 with 512MB RAM and up 3 Nics when the "outside" is via a USB Speedtouch 330. In other words can i tie the usb bus to the nics on the pci bus in anyway? All I can find so far are how to's that use 2 nics etc that get outside via a hub/switch etc. Can iptables/ipchains be config'd for use with a usb ADSL modem and an ethernet nic?

it shouldn't matter that some of your network devices are PCI NICs and one is a USB adsl modem... the bridging functionality is in a higher layer (network) than that driver layer.

i wouldn't expect the configuration of this bridge to be significantly different than bridging between two plain old network cards.

elijah

bridging is a MAC layer process not net layer (IP) eh? - even so - how do I config a USB device as you would a nic eg :
# ifconfig eth0 x.x.0.254 ?
Ive looked in /dev/usb but found devices beginning ez and lp along with the named devices like scannner, or is the IP assigned to it's USB device number?