Re: Firewall startup script

Christoph,

* Christoph Haas <email@christoph-haas.de> [060904, 22:42]:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 09:54:52PM +0200, Lorenzo Rossi wrote:
> > you have to know I a newb..
>
> Most people have been at some time in their history. :)

This is a good news for me... I'm not alone! ;)
But a better news is to know that also lots of people are skilled...and
can give advices to newbs... like you are doing...

> > I know that in "/etc/initd/" there are lots of scripts....but I'm
> > steel studing the language..
>
> That are just shell scripts. I suggest you read some basics about UNIX
> in general, Linux in special and Debian in very special. One nice URL to
> look through is
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html

It is a real interesting link for me..lots of info!
Every day, I like debian mutch more...

> > > I personally prefer to start the firewall script from
> > > /etc/network/interfaces like this:
> > >
> > > iface eth9 inet static
> > > 	address ...
> > > 	netmask ...
> > > 	gateway ...
> > > 	pre-up /etc/network/firewall.sh
> >
> > This advice seem to be very nice, I go to test it.
> >
> > Just one more question... :) Does the "pre-up" keyword meens that the
> > Firewall is startup at the same time the interface is going up?
>
> You may want to look at the interfaces(5) manual page (run "man 5
> interfaces" from the command line). All those configuration settings are
> described there.

Now I have read the man pages, and I discovered tha I have to read the
man for man :)

> > Looking at the prefix "pre" I should imagine that it start the firewall
> > script before the interface is up, but this seem to me a bit strange...
>
> Yes, that's correct. That doesn't slip anything through while the
> interface is already up but the script is still being executed. In
> reality it's just a matter of a second.

OK, now is clear..