Re: down to the core

--- ArArntaKarlsenararnt2i.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:28:55 -0700 (PDT), Mike wrote in message
> <20040728162855.21881.qmqmaileb11904.mail.yahoo.com>:
>

> > --- ArArntaKarlsenararnt2i.net> wrote:

> > > ..this would requires the presence of the loadable module,
> > > or _could_ the attacker provide it?
> > >
> > You need root totodoodule loading.  With root you can also change
> > kernel memory, so yes you could force a module to load.  It would be
> > simpler just to add the missing code you need to the running kernel
> > and then link it in.  None the less if you have root access the only
> > reason you might need to load any kernel side code is for DMDMAr
> > hahandelingWHWninterupts Since it's unlikely that an attacker would
> > need or even care to do these things the point is moot.  BoBottomeine
> > is if an attacker gets root it's ALL over, they can install any
> > software ththayight need.
>
> ..so basically, this boils down to whether or not it is
> possible to grab root with some kinda nenetcattunt.

Correct.  As I remember you where running mail on port 25, it may be
popossibleo kill the mailer and then hack on a closed port 25.  If your
asking if having another port open will be more of a security risk, then
prprobablyot.  The security risk comes in when you acactuallytart running
the server.  Harden your system from prprivilegescalation hahacksthen
**when** a server is compromised the effect is miminimal