Re: masquerading (NAT) firewall with firewall-easy

On 11 Jul 2004, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> If anyone has managed to set up a masquerading firewall with
> firewall-easy, could they please tell me how they did it?

I can't say that I have used the package in question, I fear.

> Or recommend an alternative package for the same purpose?

I do use 'firehol', and would happily recommend it. Getting it to work
as a simple masquerading firewall is trivial:

,----[ firehol configuration ]
| interface eth0 mylan
|         policy accept
|
| interface ppp+ internet
|         client all accept
|
| router mylan2internet inface eth0 outface ppp+
|         masquerade
|         route all accept
`----

Season to taste and your setup by configuring the 'ppp+' and 'eth0'
parts of the lines to match.

Also, I strongly recommend it because once you have it in place it can
grow to match your needs -- it trivially extends to a full featured
multi-zone firewall without changing the underlying tool.

It is packaged in unstable and testing, or available at
<http://firehol.sf.net/>

        Daniel
--
There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many
people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside them for reality