Re: Canonical way to change hardware addr on DHCP interface?

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:06:16PM +0200, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
> I want to configure an ethernet interface by DHCP, but I have
> to fake its hardware address. No problem if I do it manually
> (just "ifconfig eth3 hw ether 01:23:45:67:89:01" works fine),
> it is documented for /etc/network/interfaces for static interfaces
> as "hwaddress ether bl:ah:wh:at:ev:er" and for bootp interfaces
> too (strangely enough it is called "hwaddr" there).

I myself have to contend with a provider who ist MAC-Addresse aware and
I am using just a pre-up command calling ifconfig to set it.

> Is there an *right*, clean way to get this done with dhcp in
> /etc/network/interfaces, or do I have to hack something up badly?
> (and create a mess I can't remember a year from now ; )

While it is not "perfect" it works and is in the first place to look for
such a hack in Debian ;) I also put the occasional iptables statement
into up and down lines. It's much less hassle than writing another
/etc/init.d/firewall script.

Regards, David

--
  * Customer: "My palmtop won't turn on."
  * Tech Support: "Did the battery run out, maybe?"