RE: firewall setup - firewall newbie

> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:06:45PM -0500, elijah wright wrote:
> > IIRC as long as the list of cards you have in your machine doesn't
> > change, the cards should fall into a particular
> configuration [kernel
> > probe/detect order] and stay that way.
> >
> > changing the interrupts is most likely what changed the
> order in which
> > the cards were detected.

> From: dmaxwell@turinglabs.com
> > I agree - if you made the cfg change and rebooted, you most
> likely are in the same interrupt config you were in
> originally. Can you show us /proc/interrupts? AFAIK the two
> NIC's should share one IRQ line just fine. Perhaps some other
> ill-behaved device is hogging the same IRQ?
> Are there any errors in dmesg when the cards are detected at
> boot-time?
> Doug

Things are looking good now...  I've just flip flopped around the IRQ of the
cards so that I get my expected IP on my expected card.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:99:98:2A
          inet addr:  Bcast:  Mask:
          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x220

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:25:9C:56
          inet addr:  Bcast:  Mask:
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x230

The dhcp server is working on eth1 as well.

I'm going to set this box up as a caching DNS server for the machines inside
of it.  After that do I work NAT (ipmasq?) or FW (ipchains?) ?