Re: help needed urgently with hostlookup failure ..please

> I cannot seem to be able to even ping any other machine on the
> network. I do
> > telnet localhost. I get
> >localhost: Host name lookup failure.

Telnet is different than ping.  Try ping localhost to make sure your
loopback interface is working correctly.  My bet is you don't have a
telnet service running on your box so there is no daemon to answer that
request.  If you have a server listening on a port you can try telnet
localhost <PORT>

--Mark Thurman