Re: more networking stuff

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:49:21PM -0400, Jule Slootbeek wrote:
> So just to make it clear to me, the cable from my server NIC to my hub (which
> btw has no uplink, it's a simple one i picked up from work, one plug "To
> Datalink" 4 plugs "To System 1 - 4") needs to be a straight cable, and the
> cables from the hub to the clients need to be crossover cables?

no, connecting computers or routers to hubs are done with straight cables.

connecting hubs to other hubs is done with eighter a crossover cable and a
normal port or a crossover/uplink port and a normal cable.

connecing two computers directly only works with crossover cable.

as a speciality you can connect a computer to a uplink port of a hub with a
crossover cable. Also some dsl-routers do have crossover ports (so you do not
need a crossover cable to connect them to your computer), but most dont.

Greeting
Bernd