Re: limiting access thru pptp

On Friday 31 October 2003 03:17, Andrei D. Caraman wrote:
> A closer scan of pppd manuals would reveal that you can, in
> fact, assign per-user IP addresses.  The trick is to have the
> lines in /etc/ppp/{pap,chap}-secrets in the format:
>
> username	server	secret	IP_address
>
> for example:
>
> stephan		*	beirer	192.168.168.192
>
> Then make sure your /etc/pptpd.conf file correctly states the
> intended range for remote ip addresses, as in
>
> remoteip	192.168.168.190-220
>
> That should be all.

Actually, the final step (setting the remoteip range) isn't required. I have a
pptp server that assigns static ips to clients and I have no remoteip line at
all. The remoteip line just gives the pptp daemon a range to pull from,
similar to dhcp - if you're setting statics in the {pap,chap}.secrets file,
then remoteip doesn't need to be defined at all. Just thought I'd clarify
this.

GPG: http://n12turbo.com/tarragon/public.key