Re: Firewall Planning

I'd have to say his views are hardly paranoid and most definitely not
radical. The "security" features included with most 802.11a/b/g are
secure only in name, not in function. WEP keys are static and easily
crackable (look at airsnort), as well MAC addresses have to be among the
easiest things to spoof.
In a home environment that all might be acceptable, but in business
environment having such gaping security holes is irresponsible.

I would suggest the only way to deploy wireless tech is with some sort
of VPN technology, or at least some research into 802.11x (I believe
that is the standard that specifies a *secure* method for changing WEP
keys). IPSec being the best overall solution, but even PPTP would be
better than an open system.

I setup another interface in the firewall specifically for the wireless
AP that I have plugged into it. It allows only DHCP and PPTP on that
interface. Therefore you can get an IP, and then you must connect via
PPTP (which means you've been authenticated) in order to access any
network resource.

Just my $0.02 (cdn)

-Sean