This may have come up a billion times in the past
but, I am setting up a FW and I have some basic questions:
Setup 1:(idea at least)
Public ip 64.1.1.x
DMZ HOST (ports80,993,143,53)
upstream 64.1.1. /
I have 5 static ips
Im using a p400 with two nics (deb woody)
I want to do Packet Filtering and logging for the DMZ and the
1) Do I need three Nics on the Firewall , one for the DMZ?
2) In the drawing above I am running DHCP on the LAN with the Linksys
Wireless router. Should I run DHCP on the LAN interface on the FW
instead? What would be the benefits/drawbacks?
3) If the WAN interface in the router is a 64.1.1.x and the LAN
interface is a 2.x.x.x/24 will i be able to route the 1.1.1.x/24 and DMZ
host through the FW?
4) I want to use Iptables because I heard they are more advanced than
ipchains is this true?
5) I am somewhat familiar with the command line IPtables commands, but
was curious at to what other (non gui) tools I could use to write