Re: system requirements

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Jos wrote:
> Mensaje citado por "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net>:
>>  --- Pierre THIERRY <pierre.thierry@moine-fou.org> escribi?:
>> >
>> > It seems very huge to me! I heard many running some 486 or pentium
>> > as thier firewall...

> I would have to agree with Pierre, remember the original question was
> about routing gigabit ethernet, not a common home firewall.
> In my experience gigabit ethernet is way more bandwidth than what can
> be filled with even a fast raid array (thinking about file sharing or
> video streaming applications, for example).

You need to upgrade your RAID array. ;)

Seriously, it's not that hard to get a system that can saturate one
direction on a gigabit network streaming from disk to the network.
You can build that for less than US$10,000 these days.

> But in a router application, bandwidth passed between interfaces may
> be much more than what passes between 2 separate boxes. So yes, you
> wouldn't make it with a pentium pro or crappier hardware.
> As mentioned in an earlier message, a fast PCI bus: 66 MHz, 64 bit
> would be recommended.

Actually, *two* independent 66/64 PCI buses would be desirable, along
with a very good memory subsystem...

> And these tend to be on the higher end machines these days (something
> more around 1-3 GHz), although one would expect the CPU to be idle
> most of the time...

...and yes, a CPU that fast should be wasted. Frankly, though, I stand
by my original statement that this is *not* what the x86 architecture is
good at -- throughput has always been the worst aspect of the hardware.

In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
        -- RFC 1925