Re: Setup of Internal Network with Many Real IPs

Hi Blars,

I read your excellent article, and a similar one at
http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/ which really gave me some food for
thought.  I'm attempting to do a similar thing (see my previous post) and one
of the things I'm wondering about with this proxy arp solution is if the router
even needs to have a "real" ip address if the gateway is set to the upstream?
If I understand the theory of the whole thing, I can give the router an ip (on
both interfaces) that would technically never be used, so doesn't have to be a
valid address?

Also, with this proxy arp solution, it seems certain that everything traverses
netfilter (even if you use the upstream gateway).  Do you know if it will also
go through the traffic control system?

Just curious because allocation of extra public IPs from our ISP is very
expensive.

Thanks for your HOWTO.

Pulu

----
Afe.to ANTS
POB 1478
Nuku'alofa, Tonga
Ph: Country code 676 - 27946 or 878-1332
http://www.afe.to
http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=pulu