Traffic Control problems

I am trying to get traffic control (aka: bandwidth limiting) working on my server, so that downstream users can't monopolize the upload bandwidth and steal resourses from essential services like web and mail hosting. I am trying to make it work based on the HTB script in the "Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO". Unfortunately I can't get past the first real step -- creating the qdisc root class:

> tc qdisc add dev eth2 root handle 1: htb default 26
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I have traced the problem to specificly trying to add an HTB qdisc, because I can add a CBQ just fine:

> tc qdisc add dev eth2 root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 10mbit

I running the testing branch 2.4.20 kernel, patched only with the patch for my achetecture (ppc). I've tried it using HTB both compiled directly into the kernel, and as a module (when used as a module, the sch_htb.o module loaded automaticly when I ran the above line, but was being used by 0 processes after the error).

Thanks,
-Ian