Re: Allowing outgoing traceroutes through NAT

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:47:23PM -0700, Talon wrote:

> Blocking traceroute
> Traceroute typically uses udp ports 33435 to 33524 for the first 30 hops (for
> additional hops beyond that add 3 ports per hop). You need to allow these
> through firewalls or packet filters. Do not allow any vulnerable servers to use
> this port range inside your net.
>
> (Taken from http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/isp_mistakes.html)

One problem is I do not know iptables well, so I'm using a firewall package.  But of course
that isolates me farther from what's happening...

So I guess I'm not clear where I need to look.  Perhaps it's easier to show part of my
setup:

My INPUT chain includes:

ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           limit: avg 1/sec burst 5
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spts:32769:65535  dpts:33434:33523

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
BLOCK_OUT  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:netbios-ns
BLOCK_OUT  udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:netbios-ns
BLOCK_OUT  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:netbios-dgm
BLOCK_OUT  udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:netbios-dgm
BLOCK_OUT  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
BLOCK_OUT  udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:netbios-ssn
STATEFUL   all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain STATEFUL (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
DROPnLOG   all  --  anywhere             anywhere

And my OUTPUT is:

arget     prot opt source               destination
loopback   all  --  anywhere             anywhere
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           state INVALID

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org