Re: 2 rather simple iptables questions

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:06:32AM -0600, Chris Mutchler wrote:
> Okay, I finally got high-speed internet this weekend and setup my
> iptables firewall rather easily.  I just have 2 questions, that i would
> like answered:
>
> 1.  where are the logfiles located?  i didn't see anything in any of the
> logs in /var/log or read anything about them in the man-page

/var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, and anything else
you might have specified in /etc/syslog.conf :) Somewhat annoyingly,
iptables writes its logs via the kernel, so it goes under the kern.*
entries in that conffile. This means you probably can't make iptables
log to its own file without some hacking.

> 2.  when i try to add this iptables ruleset, it tells me it can't:
>
> iptables -A INPUT -t tcp --dport 1433 -m limit -j LOG --log-prefix
> "Firewalled packet: MSSQL "

You want -p tcp, for protocol. -t refers to a table, which right no is
one of filter (the default), nat, or mangle. You use the nat table for
masquerading and port-forwarding, and filter for most everything else.

Your kernel config looks OK to me. I have freaking everything associated
with iptables compiled in :)

Jason