2 rather simple iptables questions

Okay, I finally got high-speed internet this weekend and setup my
iptables firewall rather easily.  I just have 2 questions, that i would
like answered:

1.  where are the logfiles located?  i didn't see anything in any of the
logs in /var/log or read anything about them in the man-page

2.  when i try to add this iptables ruleset, it tells me it can't:

iptables -A INPUT -t tcp --dport 1433 -m limit -j LOG --log-prefix
"Firewalled packet: MSSQL "

I thought that I had compiled everything need in, but just in case here
is a list of what I compiled in (NOT MODULES) in my 2.4.18 kernel:

Networking Options-->
	network packet filtering
		network packet filtering debugging
	socket filtering
IP: Netfilter Configuration-->
	Connection Tracking
		FTP protocol support
		IRC protocol support
	IP tables support
	MAC address match support
	netfilter MARK match support
	Multiple port match support
	TOS match support
	Connection state match support
	Packet filtering
		REJECT target support
	Full NAT
		MASQUERADE target support
		REDIRECT target support
	Packet mangling
		TOS target support
		MARK target support
	LOG target support
	TCPMSS target support

I hope I have included enough information to help with my problem.  Let
me know if you think you have any ideas, as I would be most
appreciative.

Thanks.

soukihei