Two NE2000 equivalent cards in one machine

Apologies for post to the two lists but think it's between the two.

Installed Woody with 2.4.18-586tsc kernel on old machine with two
NE2000 equivalent ISA network cards (different manufacturers).  I can
get either one to work fine with the other in the machine and know
the IO/IRQs (300/10 and 320/5) but I can't, whatever I've tried with
/etc/modutils/ne, with or without an append in lilo, get linux to get
both into action.

I've searched archives and only found a reference to cards being on
the same network, which isn't true here ... but whichever I have as
eth1 just isn't getting started in communication with the kernel at
all.  Boot messages give a message (not in dmesg) saying that insmod
.. /ne.o failed and that it might be due to incorrect parameters ...
but the parameters are right and each works if given as eth0.

Does someone have modutils & lilo entries that work for this?  I
imagine it's a very common combination for a low speed firewall
machine on an ADSL line (which is what this will be).

TIA,

Chris
PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org