Re: Basic firewall questions

* Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> [29-06-2002 06:57]:
> I have a small home network with several machines running woody.  One
> of these is used as a NAT masquerading router connected to my DSL modem.
>
> I have run small home networks with 2.0 and ipfwadm and 2.2 with
> ipchains, but I have now upgraded my router to the 2.4.18 kernel.  This
> involved changing from ipchains to iptables.  I have ipmasq and
> iptables installed and things appear to be working well, but in
> studying the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO, I get confused, as what it discusses
> appears to be significantly different from how a Debian system is
> configured.
>
> For instance, I would like to forward a few ports from my router to a
> more powerful machine on the network (intuitively I feel that a
> firewall box should not also function as a server).  In the HOWTO it
If you want just a firewall I think it should be as simple
as possible so my suggestion is a minidistro like floppyfw into a
no keyboard/no harddisk/no monitor machine. It can do port forward and
it is very easy to set up. I run woody and MS win on my internal lan but my adsl
firewall runs floppyfw.
Take a look http://wwww.zelow.no/floppyfw/

Carlos

--