Limiting upload speeds

Hello,
I was wondering what my options are for limiting upload speeds. I've got
and ADSL connection that's gets killed when someone uploads. I'd like to
minimize the latency for ssh/telnet connection, so the sessions are
actually usable.And of course increase the latency of FTP. Also scp is
used quite a bit for file transfers, is it possible to distinguish
between a user with a ssh session vs. a user scping a file somewhere,
and then adjust latency/bandwidth accordingly?

Thanks

-Sean