Re: Setting up masquerading (not sure where the problem is happening)

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 01:59:36AM -0700, Gary Lucas wrote:
> Trying to use Debian to share my ADSL connection,
>
> Any suggestions?

I suggest you take a look at shorewall. It is easy to setup by
changing well documented config files and there's documentation on
the website, should you need it.

You will at least need to change interfaces, masq, policy, rules
and zones in /etc/shorewall.

Maybe I am forgetting something, but getting it to work was so easy,
it should be rather obvious what's needed in case of problems.

> Current hardware setup is the line from my ADSL modem going to a hub,
> then a line from the hub to eth0...  That all seems to work.. Eth1 is
> connected directly via LAN cable to another computer that is running
> windows ME and I think it's properly configured.
>
> Do I need a cross over cable or would that not be necessary?

If you connect two computers over ethernet directly, you need a
cross cable. I use a cable modem to connect to the internet. My
setup looks like this:

Modem --> eth0 in gateway/firewall; eth1 gateway/firewall --> hub

All local machines connect to the hub. Once a default gateway has
been set along with the most basic networking configuration the
machine can talk to the internet.

Bob