Re: ping sendto: operation not permitted

Um, yes, it's not a cable modem.  :)  It's kind of a phone modem - it uses
the phone wiring in the apartment complex to connect to a line-of-sight
transmitter on top of the building to provide high-speed access.  It's not
the modem.  I saw it work just fine on another computer (a W2K box).

I truly suspect it's something I'm doing wrong.  I had thought from the
previous response that it might be the itpables firewall but I cleared the
iptables like so:

  iptables clear

and this didn't seem to make any difference.  Any other ideas?