Re: A strange situation !

> I am having a strange problem at hand.Does proximity of a machine to a
> HUB make it a router by default ?
Never heard of that. Switches and hubs are Layer 1+2 devices (except
you have a Layer 3 switch) so they don't care about IP and consequently
not about routing.
The hosts connected to them are not supposed to "see" switches or
routers and should not care about the Layer 2 topology.

> This very briefly is what my LAN looks like :
>
> i1---SWITCH---HUB---s1
>      |  |     | |
>    i2   i3   s2 s3
>
> (10.10.1.1)       (10.10.1.40)
> to                to
> (10.10.1.3)       (10.10.1.43)
>

> The HUB is placed next to s2 (10.10.1.42)
>
> The machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
> 10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) , mention the IP of s1 as the proxy ,
> when they wish to surf the internet.
Is s1 the Proxy or gateway or both?
What sort of machine is s1 anyway?
Where is your LAN connected to the internet, through s1?

> But when s2 (near which , I have placed the HUB) was booted into
Linux ,
> the machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
> 10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) , were seen  as trying to connect to s2
> instead of trying to connect to s1 !
>
> And subsequently those machines showed "Could not connect to s2
> 10.10.1.42)" , when they should have reached s1 and reached the
> Internet !
>
> When I re-booted s2 to Windows , the problem was over.
> The machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
> 10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) found s1 , and properly connected to the
> internet.
Does it work if s2 is off?
please specify the setup of the hosts (DHCP?, gateway-address, network-
address)

> Does proximity of any machine to the SWITCH or HUB bring upon it
> the status of a router ?
No, routers are not automatically determined in IPv4, they must be
specified.

> Please help me understand this situation.
What documentation did you read before posting here? Probably you
should read some basics on IP networking...
This one is good:
http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/road-map.html

--
Stephan Balmer