A strange situation !

I am having a strange problem at hand.Does proximity of a machine to a
HUB make it a router by default ?
This very briefly is what my LAN looks like :

i1---SWITCH---HUB---s1
     |  |     | |
   i2   i3   s2 s3

(10.10.1.1)       (10.10.1.40)
to                to
(10.10.1.3)       (10.10.1.43)

The HUB is placed next to s2 (10.10.1.42)

The machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) , mention the IP of s1 as the proxy ,
when they wish to surf the internet.

But when s2 (near which , I have placed the HUB) was booted into Linux ,
the machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) , were seen  as trying to connect to s2
instead of trying to connect to s1 !

And subsequently those machines showed "Could not connect to s2
10.10.1.42)" , when they should have reached s1 and reached the
Internet !

When I re-booted s2 to Windows , the problem was over.
The machines connected to the SWITCH (ie: those having an IP range
10.10.1.1 to 10.10.1.3) found s1 , and properly connected to the
internet.

Does proximity of any machine to the SWITCH or HUB bring upon it
the status of a router ?

Please help me understand this situation.

I am planning to have SQUID with s1 booted to Linux,
but I am totally dumbstruck by this strange phenomenon.

--

                           Knowledge is Power