Re: Hardware configuration

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, istene wrote:

>     I need to setup security for a net of 130 clients. I will use Gibraltar
> and have, a debian-based distro and i plan to configure 2 or 3 firewalls.

Why the multiple firewalls?  If you've got multiple links, you're better off
channel bonding or something else to tidy it up, otherwise doing routing
tables internally is going to be a stone drag.

> Does any1 have experience of using linux-based firewalls with so many
> clients (i will use NAT and have 13 static ips) ? If yes, how's the hardware

Hardware shouldn't be an issue.  Any PCI-based system with decent 100BaseTX
cards (avoid anything RTL-8139, the buffers aren't big enough - I like 3Com
3c59x or EE100) should be able to handle full-rate transfers.  The
bottleneck is going to be in your external connection.