Re: Again, Firewall Public IP's?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:14:00 +0200
"Stephan Balmer" <stephan@sense.asit.ch> wrote:
> Assume the address on interface 0 of the router is x.x.x.2.
> My idea would be to setup the Debian-box as bridge, using the IP
> x.x.x.2 on interface 0 and some other IP (like x.x.x.250) on interface

You want the same, public, IP address on BOTH the router AND the
Debian-box? That'll be fun to watch... :)

> Another way would be to turn the firewall into a router and use
> private IPs for the network between Firewall and router. So interface
> 1 of the firewall gets 10.0.0.1 and the routers interface 10.0.0.2.
> This is not prefered since I don't like messing with that router.

That's the setup I use, and it works like a charm (with proper iptables
configuration). But perhaps you don't have to resort to private
addresses, don't you have a couple left from the class C pool?

> All answers are welcome, thank you

I'm just a hobbyist sysadmin, with the opportunity of playing around a
bit in a semi-production environment, so perhaps somebody else would
have a better suggestion.

Good luck.

--
Carlos Sousa