Re: Unknown ports with port scan (nmap)

You could try 'netstat' to see what are they connecting to; you'll see
something like:
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp       43      0 adelita.infoemerg:33048 pop.cc.upv.es:pop3
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      142      0 adelita.infoemerg:33044 pop.cc.upv.es:pop3
CLOSE_WAIT
tcp       30      0 adelita.infoemerg:33039 pop.cc.upv.es:pop3
CLOSE_WAIT
(and other stuff...)

Here you can see ports 33048, 33044 and 33039 of my machine connecting
to pop3 (port 110) of pop.cc.upv.es . Maybe this way you can guess what
are they for.

By the way, let me send you all a "hello world!". I'm new to this list.
I work in a small computing services company in Valencia, Spain. We're
looking forward to offering hosting and mail services (and many other
things), although unfortunatelly all we have until now are clients with
windows networks and so on. Well, I hope to learn and discuss lots of
interesting things in this list... time will tell :-)

Regards