IPTABLES firewall?

Hi
    I have 5 static public ip addresses that i have assigned to each of my
machines, i have a debian machine which is the router and it has a ppp
connection to the internet. This set up works fine, but i would like to add
some security. I have blocked smb traffic from comming in and out using ip
tables. Somebody alerted me to the fact that it was safer to enable certain
ports and disable all others. Is it possible to block all incomming
connections apart from the onces that i allow and allow all outgoing
connections and allow the packets that come back as a result of these
connections? If so how can i do so? Also does anybody have a iptables script
that does this. I do not want to use NAT.

Thankyou

Charlie