Re: Is this risky business?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 01:26:50PM -0500, Jor-el wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	My printer is attached to my Win95 machine which is behind my
> (Potato) masqueraded firewall. I was thinking of enabling printer sharing
> on Win95 and thus allowing me to print from my Linux machine. This, is a
> well-known security hole for Win95, of course, so the question is - if I
> block the port on my firewall that Win95 listems to for this service,
> would that be good enough? And anyone have an idea as to which port this
> would be anyway?

As long as your firewall isn't forwarding requests *from* the internet you
should be fine.

Also, you should run nmap on your firewall and see if there are any services
you don't need to run that are running...

If they can't get through your firewall, anything on your local network is
safe.  Of course, nothing is perfect with security, so be careful what you
install on and how you config your firewall...

Mike